Marriage in Phuket, Thailand: Thai and foreigner or both future foreigners spouses, you can get married in Phuket, Thailand. We are going to provide you with some Legal advice to follow rules and regulations to get married Legally in Phuket, Thailand:

Eligibility Requirements for Marriage

The Book V Title I of Civil and commercial Code (CCC) governs the legal matter of the Marriage. Notably, for the man and the woman, the minimum age required is 17 years old (Section 1448) or The Court may, in case of having appropriate reason, allow them to marry before attaining such age.

Some other conditions are identic to the contract conditions as not to be an insane person or adjudged incompetent.

Some are proper to the marriage, as to have a different sex, be officially single, blood relationship degree as direct ascendant or descendant line or parental link under the law as not having the same adoptive parents.

In case of termination of a previous marriage as Death, Divorce, note that in case of pregnancy  an order of the Court allowing the woman to marry.

Required Documents for Marriage

Requirements for Thai Nationals and Foreigners have common one:
– Identification documents, Id card for Thai and Passport with arrival card for foreigner,
– residency evidence,
– divorced certificate or proof of widower/widow
– witnesses.
– single certificates

Moreover, the foreigners shall have all documents translated by a certified Thai translator, get these documents certified by the respective embassy and approved by the Thai Foreign Ministry.

Also, as officer has a discretionary power, perhaps you will have to provide supplementary documents as he will request.

If you make a prenuptial agreement, to be valid you have to register it at the registration date.

Registration Of The Marriage

An application for registration for marriage can be filed at any District Office or Minor District.

A marriage can take place on declaration made by both the parties intending to marry by giving consent to take each other as husband and wife. Giving consent to the marriage may be made by the spouse themselves or authorized persons, always in front of witnesses:

In the presence of a Thai woman, she can use the prefix “Ms” or “Miss” whatever she wants. And even if the marriage is terminated later she can also use the prefix “Ms” or “Miss” as she wishes. Section 5 and 6 of Woman Prefix Ace B.E. 2551.

The spouse has the right to use the last name or surname of either party as agreed or their original last name. The mentioned agreement may be done at the time of marriage or during the marriage. Agreement under paragraph one the spouse may agree to change later, according to Section 12 of the Personal Name Act B.E.2548.

After waiting for your turn, officer before issuing your marriage certificate will make the final checking of your documents. Also interview both spouses and if no complementary investigation is needed, everything is completed. It shall be used to complete the procedure in case a foreigner is involved and wants the union to be officially registered with his/her national administration.

In the end, don’t forget that the hardest is coming. Life and legal issues during marriage and at the termination will come soon and we will provide articles about these. If you are in need of a family lawyer, or for more information, we can help, just feel free to contact us at any time.